Tuesday, September 06, 2005

OK then.. tell me your dreams..

What Asimov said:

"....I once dreamed I was in a hotel,attending a physics convention. I was with ol' friends.Everything seemed quite normal.Suddenly, there was a confusion of shouting and for no reason at all I grew panicky.I ran to the door but it wouldn't open. One by one my friends disappeared. They had no leaving the room, but I couldnt see how they managed it. I shouted at them but they ignored me.

It was borne on me that that the hotel was on fire. I didnt smeel smoke. I just knew there was a fire. I ran to the window and I could see a fire escape on the outside of the building. I ran to each window in turn but none led to the escape. I was quite alone in the room now. I leaned out of the window, calling desperately. No one heard me.

Then the fire engines were coming, little red smears darting along the streets. I remember clearly. The alarm bells clanged sharply to clear traffic. I could hear them louder and louder till the sound was splitting my skull. I awoke and, of course, the alarm clock was ringing. Now I couldnt have dreamed a long dream designed to arrive at the moment of the alarm clock ring in a way that builds the alarm neatly into the fabric of the dream. It is much more reasonable to suppose that the dream began at the moment the alarm began and crammed all its sensation of duration into a split second. It was just a hurry-up device of my brain to explain this sudden noise that penetrated the silence...."

What I have to say:

Well every human dreams of situations as vague as this only to find out, on being fully conscious, that the dream wasnt all that uncorrelated to the scheme of events in reality. However, these occur in, as picturised above, such short a duration of time, that we more often than not, have only a nebulous memory (is it memory?) that we can relate to later. Atleast for me, the arduous task of putting down the same on paper and even going to the extent of analysing it, is a hard thing to digest.

Nevertheless, here you are, confronted with one marvelous psychedelic dream sequence retold by one of the 'wildest' thinkers of yesteryears, Isaac Asimov. As far as I am concerned, there is no story or event or even a hazy fascination, however intriging and laden with complexites it might be, that Asimov cannot explain. My salutes to this master story teller.

And as for the bulk, of which I am a mute part, we can only read and say, "how true!!".

1 comment:

Vetty Max said...

How true!

Asimov is God man.