Thursday, September 01, 2005

I will quit cribbing

They built the Golden Gate Bridge in under 3 years. Its been over 3 years now and the first few iron girders have just been laid for the Airport Road flyover. Speaks volumes about execution, the lack of it rather, doesnt it? Two state governments are involved here: namma Karnataka and UP(of all statees!!), with one trying to beat the other in all spheres of incompetence, ineffeciency, aimlessness and disorganisation.

Heard private-public partnership(PPP they call it) is in the air now. Be it water supply, road laying, airport building or any other public service project, both the central and many state govts seek private assistance and involvement. Technical assistance is understandable. But I am in a bit of a dark comprehending the financial aspect of it. Are governments really money-starved? If yes, then where does 30% of my hard earned money go (agreed I'm jobless these days, but my salary doesnt come easy nevertheless)? My money apart, isnt it just a matter of printing more notes and disbursing it for these projects? Why get into this seemingly pointless haggling on who gets what and how much from the investment? Has the government become more of a business organisation than a caretaker?

I will harp on the printing issue (more of a solution than issue) more. Its been troubling me for quite some time now. If money is at the center of all development issues and the govt has an ostensible shortage of funds, then why should it be a crime to print more currencies with the sole purpose of betterment of life? Nobody should object, atleast I wont.For one, I prophesy the principle of live and let live(I observe the Congress rulers are adept at this. You eat I eat and let people also enjoy). And why should anyone be against development? Some economics prof might lecture me on supply demand balance and all, but he hasnt seen the every evening plight on Airport Road that I have.

I sound silly but I'm earnestly pissed. If only things were to be as simple as i expect them to be, I would have been using The Flyover quite happily for more than a year now. But there is no point playing the blame game here, is there? What I endure is what I mutely acquiesce. For all I do is crib and continue designing some vague mixed signal circuit for a cell phone and pray some fool would buy the same in the near future. My contribution to anything other than myself is zilch at best. And candidly I have no motivation or interest to go beyond this domain. So I would rather shut up and watch the show. And surreptitiously pray that someday TI moves its base to Vijayanagar.

2 comments:

Vetty Max said...

Dude new notes can't just be printed. Some macro eco funda there and macro eco is to me in IIMB what EMECH was in IITM. :D

I suppose the flyover project was doomed the day the contract was given to UP Bridge State Corporation.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong in cribbing and not doing anything about it. Man is afterall selfish. I too would probably be doing the same thing if I travelled from Vijaynagar to Airport Road daily.

Narayanan B said...

Josh! four whole semesters of finance and you dont know why extra money gets printed?? Nor do I :(

Maybe its just that printing notes costs a lot of money which we cannot afford.

'My contribution to anything other than myself is zilch at best' i liked that part a lot :) wondering if its supposed to mean something more than the obvious ;)

Btw UP corp builds awesome flyovers albeit at a slow rate. Dairy fly rocks!