Friday, September 02, 2005

Enough - I

If someday I were to be at the helm of affairs at TI India, my complacency would know no bounds. What else would be left to acheive in life eh? But even without getting any close to that position I already have a smug look so early in life. Somebody once said, "Wah Sameer babu! naya ghar, nayee gaadi, nayee biwi. Badiya hain!'(I still dont have the first one and the last, let it remain the last thing I develop interest in). And I will scream my throat out that I AM ENJOYING THIS.

Sometimes complacency helps. Especially when you desperately want to enjoy the NOW. When I was in 9th, people said (people who cared), one more year and then you can enjoy. So slog. After 10th, 2 more years and then you are the king. So slog again. Then undergraduation, 4 more years and life is yours. Continue slogging. Life will never be the same with a postgrad degree and a doctorate. So.. shut up! No more of this. I have drawn the line. There seems to be no limit to dreaming big. And everyone around me, except myself, seems to know when and where I am supposed to do what. Hello! I have seen almost a third of my life and its a miserable fact that I have only been 'existing' and not 'living'. Its high time I did something about this, now. My mom still feels sad that I'm here in B'lore earning a living and not elsewhere, doing a darned MS. Sorry mom, but I have taken control of my life.

I am happy with what I am and what I have. And I have my reasons to be that way. Say I do an MS (from my sis I have learnt, you dont 'do' an MS, you slog for one). What next. A PhD. OK. What next. Then a job in a leading semiconductor company. Then where am I now! I will stick to this Sprite funda. Atleast I'm in my home town now, but if I am to venture into any of those big contrived dreams, I will be stuck in one of Bush's addas at Dallas or Austin for life. Yuck! that is the last thing I would be interested in doing (the penultimate thing i.e. The last thing will still be getting a nayee biwi).

Right now, I'm more than happy to sit in the confines of my 5X5 cubicle and surf, chat, blog, read, listen to music, drink lemon tea, and at times, work and get paid. I believe this is a direct outcome of whatever I did and brooked for 8-9 consecutive years. Mabbe a training in music, a long journey with a good book as my sole journey mate will add some more spice to life, and this will soon happen. But I wont look for anything beyond this for the time being atleast. Call it lack of direction or motivation, but this is life royale and I'm living it king size.

3 comments:

Narayanan B said...

Josh! nice post.. I think it captures what your feelings very well! The 'I have taken control of my life' sounds pretty strong!

I'm happy that you are living life king size. Music, travelling.. good man.. me too thinks on the same lines sometimes. Hope your convictions about this are stronger than mine.

After reading this post, I realised that one third of life is over! Damn.. I need more time out here.

Krishna said...

Enough?? I think thats an understatement.You have done "more than enough" in your life.I don't think I have achieved even a tenth of what you have,but already I feel 'enough'.

Though at the same time,just like your mom,I personally feel you can and should do much more :).

Vetty Max said...

Complete agreer da Josh....as long as you are satisfied with what you are doing, don't care about what the others want you to do.