Wednesday, July 18, 2007

All in the name

I have wondered, since college days, what motivates people to publish papers in journals, present them at conferences or file for a patent. I still dont have an answer for the first two, but from personal experience I can throw light on the patent thing. After almost 2 months of disinterested cavalier half hearted approach to filing one, i finally got my draft approved yesterday and disclosed the same to the office patent committee. Whether I will have my name embossed on a patent platter, I dont know, I dont care and is also besides the point. The leitmotif here is: what motivates one to file a patent? Couple of things drove me.

Firstly, its the money. For the first one that was filed and had half the world as its inventors (9, actually. My name appeared above 2 others), the returns were quite decent. I dont think it was a path breaking idea, but royalty will be most welcome.

For the second one, a 15 page draft was written, explaining the idea behind the latest 'invention'. Diagrams, equations and all. No fun that one though. I could have finished it in a week, but, you know Prof. Parkinson, dont you? But the most challenging, irking and simultaneously highly pleasing aspect here is christening the idea. For me, if at all I get any more ideas, the "Title for invention" column in the disclosure form will be the second most motivating factor to file a patent. Silly it might sound, but come to think of it. The idea, its conception, is development, all have co-contributiors. But the name, thats totally a single man's contribution and creativity. I GOT TO NAME MY DISCLOSURE. Woaa! Dont know if anybody derived tantamount pleasure on this front, but I hope, I feel, I am not alone here.

"An improved low-power solution over the hybrid amplifier for AC coupled applications with impedance control over a wide dynamic range of output voltage swing and during all instants of operation suited for UDSM processes".

Not ingenious I know. Come on! Its my baby. I will name it the way I like it.

4 comments:

Shekhar said...

:) i think I can answer ur first 2 questions.. ppl publish papers to

i) if u say by filing a patent u feel like its ur baby.. a paper is more like the embryo u r trying to inseminate. pretty much all of your second point holds with a paper too, in fact probably more satisfactory coz the possible avenues and scope of application is much larger than kind of patents u get.

ii) For profs publishing is the simplest means of showing that hez capable of handling quality research projects .... meaning more funds.. *money here too*

iii) for students .. good papers are passport to research labs... path to lots & lots of patents and more papers... recursively more money

iv) conferences .. ppl attend so that they can go around the world in 4-5 yrs.. for that matter patents dont take u to places!!

v) On a more serious note.. conferences are for spreading ur idea.. meeting ppl from relevant fields.. so more chances of collaboration.. more proposals .. more money...

does that answer ur questions ?

Mana said...

Congrats!
YOu owe a big treat :)

Josh said...

@shekie..
Thanks kaNo.
but on the 4th point, this is such a risk allva?.. no guarantee there

Shekhar said...

hey u r talking abt point iii or iv???

Therz no risk in the 4th .. u definitely get to go to quite a few places... for free!!