Friday, July 20, 2007

Absolute happiness is a myth

Our new, and temperory, maid servant is too noisy even to my mom's liking. I think mom is tolerating her only because she is 'a guest of few days'; our old kaamwaali will be back this weekend.

Last night I asked mom why she is that way. Mom said it is her way to keep away from thinking about the joke that her life has become. I believe she doesnt need a listener. She can talk to no one too. She doesnt want to stop, lest she will go into thoughts. Painful, depressing, energy sapping thoughts. This is her short story.

She has 2 sons, past their prime. One is crippled for life. He lost is legs, I dunno when, in a freak accident and now he is 24x7 at home, eternally sick and dependant, counting his days. The other son, works part time as a coolie. If mood permits, he will go out and earn something. On other occassions, he is at home or out passing time. Both demand nothing from their mother. If she feeds them, they eat. If she doesnt, they dont seem to mind. Husband? He drank his way to death. She is glad he exists no more.

Now its the mother's heart that cant stand seeing her sons rot this way. This alone drives her to walk down all the way from Rajajinagar to Vijayanagar to clean utensils and mop floors for a few hundred extra bucks a month. Apart from a few permanent customers in Rajajinagar, she has 'taken up' a couple of houses in our locality. She is requesting mom to employ her on a permanent basis, but mom wont. She cant, rather.

I was tired physically last night. But this story made me retire to bed with a rather pensive mind.

For over a year now I have been living such a self centered life, that only MY ABSOLUTE happiness and worries have become important to me. Out there, there are so many more things, material or otherwise, that I can add to MY life, but I perenially sulk thinking about how it has gone out of control and how things just dont seem to be going MY way.

I think its time I appraised my existence relative to how people around me are living, and for once, try to be happy with the my life, its quality and possessions.

4 comments:

Vetty Max said...

Relative grading does have its merits maga.

Krishna said...

Quite often, I too have resorted to this 'comparison' business to bail me out of any 'discontented' thoughts.
But the trouble for me with this approach is that, since the mind is trying to compare two situations, it subconsciously 'drifts' to comparing situations and people, I think are better than what life has offered me.
So I have a case of the solution looping back to cause the problem.
(I guess the key here is to consciously pull back the mind whenever it starts such drifts.)
Anyways, hope it works out for you.

Josh said...

@kesava..
RG definitely is good. not RG @ 319!

@kiTTi..
control maga! thts the secret here. people happier than you are.. neglect.

Shekhar said...

adding to Kitti's comments:
When u feel someones suffering.. he most likely is!! not the case when u feel someones happier than u!! This can bias the relative comparison funda towards what sam is suggesting!!