Friday, December 15, 2006

Match update

As on most occassions, I was the first to reach the ground on Sunday. The match was expected to start at 8:00. People started waking up at 9:00 and we finally started at 10:00. We batted first. Score: 4 for 255 in 25 overs. Given the short boundary, wayward bowling and fast outfield, any score lower than 200 would have cast doubts on our batting prowess.

I opened the bowling for the second consecutive match. Last match was just short of disaster. This one was far better.

O-M-R-W : 4 0 43 3.

Wicket #1: Ball pitched off and middle and cut off the seam to rattle the middle stump. Obly I was elated. It was my first 'bowled Sameer' entry in the records.

Wicket #2: Nothing special. Just a desparate shot from a confused batsman. Our best fielder took a sharp catch in the mid-off region.

Wicket #3: Yet another personal first. The previous two deliveries had pitched middle and dirfted pad side for 2 consecutive wides. This delivery held line and fetched me a plumb decision.

But my line was a big disappointment. It was basically listless. Result : 14 wides. When the line was right, I overpitched to be driven straight down the ground past the umpire. Still a lot of scope for improvement. But for a 'back-from-retirement' player, this is quite a creditable performance.

We won by 30 runs.

4 comments:

Vetty Max said...

You just bowl like a millionaire, a lot like the spin bowlers of our past.

Narayanan B said...

Except for the wides I think the figures seem great. Three wickets is above super.
I didn't understand Baada's comment. Explain.

Vetty Max said...

@Nari

Give lots of runs, take lots of wickets.

Probably Agarkar is a better example. :P

NightWatchmen said...

Dont worry man, the line will come as you play more matches.