Monday, August 20, 2007

All I want is everything

The title has nothing to do with the content. This phrase has been in my mind for 3 days now. Thought I can as well put it here.

This post brought back old memories. During second year in college, I read this classic, "The American", by Henry James. The 'hero' here has a supremely confident, mentally strong and mature character. Back then, I too had these traits, albeit in a coarse sense. Newman, the hero, became an instant personal idol. Six years hence, he and I have nothing in common, but this paragraph remains my personal favourite from everything that I have read so far. On what he pictures THE WOMAN in his life as,

“Well,” he said, at last, “I want a great woman. I stick to that. That’s one thing I CAN treat myself to, and if it is to be had I mean to have it. What else have I toiled and struggled for, all these years? I have succeeded, and now what am I to do with my success? To make it perfect, as I see it, there must be a beautiful woman perched on the pile, like a statue on a monument. She must be as good as she is beautiful, and as clever as she is good. I can give my wife a good deal, so I am not afraid to ask a good deal myself. She shall have everything a woman can desire; I shall not even object to her being too good for me; she may be cleverer and wiser than I can understand, and I shall only be the better pleased. I want to possess, in a word, the best article in the market.”

The last statement might seem impetuous. But you've gotta read the book to understand what Newman isn't. I appreciate the lucidity in his thought process here.

As an aside, I am right now wondering where the brashness that I unashamedly possessed in those days has evaporated. This feeling of steady worthlessness is slowly thawing all my innards. I might vaporize soon too.

4 comments:

Shekhar said...

Some introspection may tell u that the reason for the feel or sense of "worthlessness" is the brashness itself!! or the gradual unnoticed change in ur definition of success!! guess everyone goes thru this .. even if u r successful all the while .. u get tired of it :)

Krishna said...

After experiencing these emotions for over ten years now (and still going strong), I sincerely hope that shekhar's thoughts are true to the last word.
They offer new insights and perspectives to the feeling of 'worthlessness' and give me a hope, that after all, I also, may just be "successful" :)

Always feels glad to have company !!

Josh said...

I mentioned my feeling of worthlessness 'as an aside'. It has nothing to do with the concept of success. It was more in the sense of being confident, knowing what i want, and such lines.
but company u want? I am always there kiTTi!

Eternal Child said...

aww.. i remember that one.. so proudly posted in the corner of your room and so clearly marked in the book.. and all the mockings.. some memories those are.. :)