Monday, November 05, 2007

Advice please..

My boss called me on Saturday night, from Udupi (he is on a vacation) asking me about that day's cricket match. TI was supposed to play its second TNT league match on Saturday. He is a very solid middle order batsman and a clever medium pacer too. He was surprised when I told him I actually didnt play the match (I had hinted at that before he left) and have no clue about the result either. It was very clear in his tone that I was being too stubborn and foolish with the incident I had with the captain a couple of weeks ago. He bruised my ego and my boss is witness to that.

This is what I am:
* I dont insult anybody. I avoid criticising.
* I take insults and criticisms very seriously and it takes a long time to get them out of my system.
* Being the younger one at home, I m used to being pampered and I am involuntarily tuned to expect it from all quarters.
* Self motivation alone cannot drive me. I need a good dose of back-patting, applauds, recognitions and encouragement from people around.

I am presently reading this book "Genome" by Matt Ridley. This book has convinced me that what I am is not what I chose to be but what is built into me. In the past I have tried to work on points 2, 3 and 4 above, but now I know I am at the mercy of my genes. All efforts to re-organise my traits are abortive.

And so I shall not play cricket. Am I doing the right thing?

4 comments:

Mana said...

You have pent out all the frustrations here on your blog. If you wanna play then you must go ahead n shouldn't care for what others say. Only parents can take us for granted not others. Just slam the person on the spot no matter whoever so. If u r quiet, then ppl will take it as a weakness.

Krishna said...

"..what I am is not what I chose to be but what is built into me".
Exactly.Even your attempts to modify yourself and their subsequent 'abortion', was built into you !!

Advice ?
I repeat, Saturday 8.00 am.

Maddy said...

"pampered" :D..tell me abt it!!

if u ask me samiee, dont let an ego clash come between u and sthing u r fond of doing. Be the better person and get on the field. Am sure ur efforts wont be wasted!!...

Me said...

Wanna read more?? Pick 'selfish gene and 'mean gene', enter the 'Blame it all on your genes' cult... Afterall, a bad excuse is always better than none..;)