Friday, August 26, 2005

Too much, too early

That was The Hindu's front page article in Metro Plus yesterday on teenage pregnancies. Indeed Bangalore is on a fast track catching up with everything good or bad in the West. One such hardly delectable influence, so the author says, is the attitude of our teenagers towards casual sex.

Through out the write-up there has only been a mention of teenagers being unaware of the consequences of such a tempestuous act. But what exactly are the repurcussions? I know its not such moral an ast as just watching late night FTV, but still, if a surreptitious abortion is all that is to it, then why bother? That way I feel the article failed to impact the readers' mind by not being as open as it appeared to be.

Impact or otherwise, the 30 odd minutes after I read it, my mind rolled back into my teens and what I made of it. By teens I mean the dangerous 6teen-9teen span. More than anything, how I shaped, has been a direct outcome of the company I chose. As I sauntered down the memory lane, it really heartened my mind that my giLibantas (that is what my Dad calls my friends) have been the 'right' type always. Peer pressure at that age decides many of your decisive actions and thoughts and in my case it drove me in the progressive direction. Just picture this. I studied in a pre-university college which in its campus, housed undergrad students also, that included 'babes' of utmost quality. But my friends' circle was so concerted in its efforts to make a meaning outta life, that I had no other choice but to stay focussed too. Occassional bantering did exist, but collectively we were 'enlightened' souls, consciously aware of what was expected of us and what was not. The miniest of the mini skirts then, was as ogle-worthy as a bland salwar kameez that my maid's daughter used to wear, and I have no regrets for being so disinterested.

Frankly, teenage is just not the right age for any kinda 'committed' relationship with the opposite sex I feel. There lies an entire life ahead for this. 'If not know when?' .. is an obvious question that will arise, but being as 'single' as ever, I believe even 30 is a decent age ;-). Dunno where this is heading. I ll stop here.

2 comments:

Krishna said...

I am not sure if peer pressure can really influence you to such an extent.Yeah,it might be powerful enough to induce such 'sinister' thoughts in you,but for those thoughts to actually translate into action,you must be really weak.
Nevertheless, its true that, at that point of time,the mind is quite vulnerable to external influences and a good company always pays...

Narayanan B said...

Teenage pregnancies in our city? i never thought it was this bad..!

Talking about all the 'babes' you never laid eyes on in 11, 12th, I wish all of us had the kind of friends you did back then :D